Build your own whale themed automaton with a Grab and Go Kit from Ipswich Libraries.
Recommended ages: 10+ with parental supervision or assistance
Time to complete this project: approximately 1 – 2 hours
Collecting a kit: kits were available to collect between Monday 21st September and Friday 2 October. If you were unable to collect a kit you can still make this at home by downloading the instructions and templates and gathering the following materials:
- corrugated cardboard – cut to the following measurements (x4) 5 x 10cm strips, (x1) 5 x 20 cm strip, (x1) 5 x 10 cm strip
- an A4 piece of plain white card
- a small strip of paper (4 x 10 cm)
- 2 skewers
- a paper straw
Download the Whale Automaton Instructions
Download the Whale Automaton Templates
Additional items you’ll need:
- a pencil
- a ruler
- glue stick
- good scissors that can cut cardboard
- a hot glue gun and plenty of hot glue sticks (please use this with parental supervision or assistance)
- coloured pens, pencils or water colours
Once you have your materials follow the instructions OR watch the video tutorial below where we guide you step by step through the construction process. Stop and start as you need and pick up extra tips and tricks to complete your automaton. Please note the directions to attach the axle varies from those in the written instructions – choose whichever way works best for you.
Love whales? Test your knowledge of whales and other aquatic animals in our Wet and Wild Quiz!