Ipswich Libraries

Were You a Fan?

[This post is best viewed using Chrome]

In the past, Ipswich businesses used advertising fans to promote their goods and services. Photos of some of the fans distributed by well-known local establishments are included below.  More examples of these advertising fans can be found on Picture Ipswich – the Ipswich Libraries’ online collection of historical images.

Series of images - Courtesy of Picture Ipswich

Series of images – Courtesy of Picture Ipswich

Many of you probably recognise the names of the businesses featured above. For those who are interested in finding out a little more about them, a brief overview follows.

Londy Bros. –

  • At the age of 15, Harry George Leondarakis (later anglicised to Londy) migrated to Australia.
  • After spending time in Toowoomba, Warwick and Rockhampton, he came to Ipswich in 1921.
  • Along with other family members, Harry owned two businesses in Brisbane Street – Café Australia and Café Paris. The latter ultimately became known as Londy’s Cafe.
  • In the 1930s, Harry Marendy purchased Café Australia and in 1958 the Coplin brothers bought Londy’s Café

You can find out more about some of the memorable cafés in Ipswich’s past here.

Cribb & Foote

  • Benjamin Cribb started his London Store business in Ipswich in 1849.
  • In 1854 Benjamin partnered with J.C. Foote, and Cribb & Foote was formed. The business grew to become an indelible part of Ipswich’s commercial history for 128 years.
  • The Cribb & Foote Families involvement with staff and the community ensured that they commemorated their 50th, 80th and 100th Anniversaries in grand style.

To learn more about this well-known Ipswich business take a look at Cribb & Foote celebrations.

Mr. George Shearer, High-class Pastrycook –

  • In July 1921, George Shearer acquired Mr August Langer’s pastry business in Goleby’s Buildings, Brisbane Street.
  • Towards the end of the following year, renovations were finished just in time for the busy festive season. Customers were able to purchase cakes of different sizes, along with shortbread, meat pies, sausage rolls, scones and tarts. Ice creams were also popular in the summer as was the soda fountain and its cool drinks.
  • To cope with business demands, Mr Shearer opened another premises next to Jackson & Meyers in Brisbane Street on 17 February 1923.
  • By January 1925, Mr Shearer was operating exclusively from his original Brisbane Street address.

Bertram’s Cake Shop (Bertram’s Cake Shop and Café) –

  • In October 1932, Jim Bertram took over George Shearer’s premises in Brisbane Street.  Wedding and birthday cakes were a specialty in the early days.
  • On 14 December 1933, Mr Bertram advertised the sale of a 450 pound Christmas Cake! There were 16 prize discs inside the cake and it could be purchased for 1 shilling/4 pence per pound. Over the years, the Christmas cakes got bigger and bigger. Butter short bread and scotch black buns were also sought after products.
  • As reported in the Queensland Times in 1939, at Bertram’s is was not just “cakes like mother used to make, but cakes that mother would have been proud to make.”

Information taken from –  Aphrodite and the Mixed Grill : Gender and Ethnic Relations in Ipswich’s Greek Cafés from 1900 to 2005 by Toni Risson; ; G. Shearer, Queensland Times, 30 July 1921, p.1; G. Shearer, Queensland Times, 2 Dec 1921, p. 7; G. Shearer, Queensland Times, 9 Dec 1922, p.10; Enterprise, Queensland Times, 16 Feb 1923, p.4; G. Shearer, Queensland Times, 31 Jan 1925, p.14; Bertram’s Cafe – J.M. Bertram, Queensland Times, 19 Sep 1939, p.9; Miscellaneous , Queensland Times, 28 Oct 1932, p.2; J. Bertram, Queensland Times, 14 Dec 1933, p.12.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Search the Ipswich Libraries website or online catalogue